Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Recipe for Joy


“I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life.” Deuteronomy 30:19
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” Proverbs 18:21

It is so important for us to choose actions and  words that are pleasing to God as we walk this life.  Each of us have a God shaped longing in our hearts – nothing else will completely fill or satisfy it.  Only in living for Him will you have fullness of joy, and my personal favorite - joy unspeakable!  That’s when you have so much joy that you try to resist speaking about it for fear of annoying those around you.   That is the kind of joy you have when you walk in your God given purpose. 

Like the Apostle Paul says in Philippians 3:12, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  I’ll be honest, I want the joy that Jesus took hold of for me so I made some choices, choices that I declare regularly knowing that according to Proverbs 18:21 (stated above), I will eat of the fruit of my words.  So let me share with you my recipe for joy - the three things I choose and declare:

1.  I WILL TRUST GOD
I don’t have a solution to every problem or situation that comes my way, but I belong to the one who does.  I rely on His vast wisdom and compassion believing that I can and will successfully navigate this life with Him. 

Scripture

·   Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.  Proverbs 3:5-6

2.  MY DAY WILL BE A GOOD ONE
I seek joy & peace to the extent that they have become my norm.  When things happen that are capable of rattling my cage, I acknowledge God and pray for His direction.  Then I relax in the faith I have in God, through Jesus Christ.

Scriptures 

·    The joy of the Lord is your strength. Nehemiah 8:10

·    The peace of God that passes all understanding will guard your heart  and  mind through Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:7

3.  I WILL BE A BLESSING TO SOMEONE TODAY
As I walk through life with Jesus Christ as my example, I become increasingly aware that my life is not about me.  As long as I focus on myself and my ‘stuff’, there is always room for discontent.  When I focus on being good to others and sharing the source of joy and peace in my life, I have purpose, I have joy, and I am fulfilled. 

Scripture

·    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercy and God of all compassion.  He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us.    2 Corinthians 1:34 (The Message)

Happiness is nice, but I’d rather have joy.  Happiness can be affected by what happens to the people, places & things you care about.  Joy is a gift from God that you get when you place your trust in Him.  Try joy.  Once you have it, you will never want to be without it.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment