Friday, July 10, 2015

No One Wanted to Read About This



I do my BLOG on blogspot.com – a site that happens to keep statistics on the readership of individual posts.  I took a look and realized that my lowest readership was on the post “Who is Missing In Action?” of May 22.  I wondered why no one wanted to read about that.  I headed over to re-read it.  Then I realized that, the content couldn’t have been the problem.  If no one read it, they wouldn’t know what the content is.  So, it had to be the title.  What about that title would prevent people from reading that post?
 

“Who is Missing In Action?”  Does it bring to mind images of trudging through muddy jungles to find and rescue possibly wounded troops?  I hope so.  Do you have a problem with getting your feet wet?  I hope not.  Life can be messy work, and sometimes people need help. Sometimes, the person needing help is you.  In that case, what do you hope will happen?  When I’m hurt or need help, I hope someone will find it in their heart to show up for me.  Are you willing to get in the trenches and extend a hand to someone in need?
 

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”   This is from the New King James Version of the Bible, but maybe The Message version will drive the point home.  All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us.”
 

My take on this verse is that:

·        God is a God of comfort

·        He is in that business and He wants us to be in that business too

·        He comforts us because He loves us, AND

·        He wants us to be able to comfort others

·        He wants us to comfort others in all kinds of situations

o   not just the ones we approve of or the one we feel they didn’t bring on themselves…..any trouble

 So, take a moment.  Who comes to your mind that is MIA, someone who may have withdrawn because they are going through a hard time?  Who may have a physical aliment that prevents them from doing all they need to do?  If someone came to mind, let me encourage you to prayerfully consider how you can make a difference in their life.  You may be surprised at the result of your display of love and caring. 

Remember, our Heavenly Father is the God of comfort and He already prepared you to be in the family business.   


1 comment: