Friday, July 31, 2015

Are You A Rebel?

 
“All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.”  1 Corinthians 6:12
The last opinion you voiced, or the last sound bite you shared … was it helpful?  Increasingly, we are part of a society that is extreme in the attitudes of:
·        Me first
·        It’s my right to say what I want
·        My life or the life of anyone I care about hasn’t been negatively impacted by this, so I don’t consider this a valid issue
We look at the surface of issues and make decisions.  We hear the latest media report that fits neatly in our comfort zones, and we feel qualified to take a stance.  And because it is our right to tell everyone what we think, we do just that. When someone disagrees or is hurt (and there is always someone) we label them uninformed, unintelligent, uber-politically correct or someone that just doesn’t matter. 
As people of God, we need to do better than that.  Everything that is lawful, is not always helpful.  In other words, just because we can say some things doesn’t mean that we always should.  Our opinions that don’t positively affect eternity are not worth a tinker’s dam.  (No, I did not curse. If you have concerns, look the phrase up.)  Do you really think that the enemy of our souls doesn’t attempt to use everything available to him to cause division between us? 
 
As an example, I’ll use an issue that is being hotly debated right now….whether or not to fly the Confederate Flag.  Everyone has an opinion about it, but is your opinion helpful?  If not, the discussion should end here because according to scripture, we will have to account for our idle words at the judgment.  But if you have determined that your opinion is helpful, who does it help?  How does your specific opinion about whether to fly the flag of the Confederate States of America affect eternity? 
 
I believe that the preservation and display of the Confederate flag is important for factual documentation of United States history.  For that reason, it should be maintained.  However, the flying of that same flag indicates proud support for its related ideals.  So, when I see or hear those who proudly and boldly show support for flying the flag of the Confederate States of America, which no longer exists, I have to wonder what they mean by it. I don’t assume they are racist, but I admit that I wonder whether they are.  I know that when I show support for an ideal, it’s because I believe it to be worthwhile and right. When I show support for a person or team, it’s because I want them to win.  If they don’t win, my continued support indicates that I wish they had.  Is that the case with those showing support for the Confederate flag?
 
What if the Confederacy had won the American Civil War?  What if we, in the Unites States of America, were currently living with the results of that victory?  As an American of African descent, I’ve got to be honest and tell you that is a scary thought for me.  There were several issues surrounding the cause of the War Between the States, but the main issue was economics.  Not all southerners believed in the enslavement of Blacks, but many did.  Because of the institution of slavery, many profited from ventures that would have been likely to fail otherwise. Slavery was the norm and it afforded a way of life that many had become accustomed to; so accustomed, in fact, that many were willing to fight to preserve it.  You see, the Constitution guaranteed equal rights for all men, but at that time Blacks were not considered men or even human. We were considered animals, therefore, exempt from protections under the law.  We were property to be treated or mistreated, based on the whim of anyone deemed White.  If that were still the case, my life would bear no resemblance to how I live today.  I wouldn’t have had opportunities to obtain an education, or participate in my 30+ year aerospace career.  I wouldn’t be a tax paying, voting citizen.  I wouldn’t be living in a comfortable home in Ventura County, legally married to my handsome White husband, Pastor Arland, whom I am assisting in the launch of a multi-cultural Word of Faith church planned for the fall of this year. 
 
I realize that some see the Confederate Flag as a symbol of their Southern heritage.  I beg to differ because Southern and Confederate are not the same thing.  Except for the humidity, I LOVE the South, but the Confederacy, not so much.  My thoughts of the South are filled with beautiful scenery, southern hospitality, and wonderful time with family (Arland and his sister, Sharon, grew up in South Carolina and have many relatives there).  My thoughts of the Confederacy are filled with the horror of being considered an animal, with mistreatment and oppression because of the color of my skin being acceptable to society at large, and having no right to liberty.  The purpose of the Confederacy was to maintain the institution of slavery.  Revisionists may claim otherwise, but a quick perusal of the Ordinances of Secession for the 13 Confederate States will settle that issue:  http://www.civil-war.net/pages/ordinances_secession.asp.  My understanding of that purpose causes me concern as I see and hear those adamant about their right to fly the Confederate flag.  Supporting the ideals of the Confederacy sounds dangerously close to a desire to legally remove any rights Black Americans have as a human beings. 
 
As Christians, it is vitally important that we fully understand those things we claim to support.  In doing so we avoid bringing reproach on ourselves and the name of our Lord and Savior.   So many times, we embrace opinions of our peers or social circle without fully considering the ramifications.  It is easy, it is safe and it guarantees that we will have support.  But we are to do as 1 John 4:1 says, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God.” 
 
So, with consideration of all said here, what do you think?  Do you feel that support for flying the flag of the Confederate States of America is helpful?  How do you think support or lack of support for the related ideals will affect your eternity?   I pray that the conclusion you reach is pleasing to God.  

 
                                                                 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouraging comments. I appreciate your prayerful and thoughtful consideration of this post. I do believe that there are many truly good people who do not realize the ideals symbolized by this flag, so please share the article if you are so inclined.

    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

    ReplyDelete