Friday, August 14, 2015

Who Are You Gona Call?



“The children of Judah prevailed, because they relied on the Lord God of their fathers.”   2 Chronicles 13:18

At one time in Old Testament days, there was war between the two tribes of Judah and Israel.  God loved them both but Jeroboam, the king of the tribe of Israel at the time, was doing things that were not pleasing to God AND leading his people to do the same.  But the tribe of Judah was faithful to the Lord.  They acknowledged Him as the true God and lived their lives according to His direction.  Israel had the advantage in numbers and strategy, but scripture and history tell us that Judah prevailed.  With all odds against them, Judah deliberately choose to rely on God.

How exactly do you do that?  If you are going to rely on God, depend confidently and your put trust in God, you will need to get to know him.  You will need to build a relationship with Him.  As with any relationship, trust can only be built over time.  2 Chronicles 15:2 teaches us that “The Lord is with you while you are with Him. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you.”  As you invest time seeking and getting to know God, you grow from the inside out in peace, joy and trust in Him. But know that God is a gentleman.  If you would rather not be bothered (forsake Him), He will let you go your way.  He will never force you into a relationship with Him.

It’s no wonder that those people who throw up a prayer only when they want something, are generally disappointed.  They wouldn’t do that to anyone else they don’t have a relationship with.  That would be like me deciding that I’m going to call Warren Buffet for a favor, even though I have never spent time with getting to know him.  It would be silly for me to be mad at Warren because he didn’t accommodate my request.  So why would anyone think it is reasonable to try that approach with God, the maker of heaven and earth? 

Believe me when I say that God can be trusted to care for those who seek and maintain a loyal, trusting relationship with Him – those who rely on Him.  He loves us and wants to us to become acquainted with Him, so we will know that we can confidently put our trust in Him when we are in need.  He promised it, He gave His word, and according to scripture, heaven and earth will pass away but God’s word will by no means pass away. 

I have had many things happen in my life that have been difficult or unpleasant – sometimes both at the same time.  But as I made the decision to trust God in the midst of my life’s storms, He made a difference.  In every situation where I trusted Him, He showed up.  He fixed things that looked like they couldn’t be fixed.  He fixed them in ways I didn’t expect.  I have experienced this promise from Chronicles 16:9, “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” 

I know who I’m always going to call.  Because I trust and rely on Him, He shows up. When He shows up, I prevail.  And if He did it for me, He will surely do it for you! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment