Friday, May 15, 2015

Friends, What Good Are They?

On my website in the pictures of things that make me smile, there is a picture of me with a group of ladies that I call ‘My Buddies’.  I love them!  These are 3 of 5 bridesmaids from my wedding and 1 who is an honorary bridesmaid.  The other 2 bridesmaids live out of state, so weren’t available when that snapshot was taken. But when I think of each one of them, I feel a smile inside.  My friends enhance my life. 
 
I have other friends.  I love them too.  But ‘My Buddies’ come to my house.  I go to their homes, we cook for each other (some of you don’t know this but I don’t cook for just anybody), we hang out, we go on adventures, we discuss things, we encourage one another, and let our proverbial hair down. 
 
I read the definition of ‘friend’ at www.Dictionary.Com.  Here’s what it says a friend is:
·        a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard
·        a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter
·        a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile
 
I smiled because My Buddies meet all that criteria.  But honestly, Dictionary.Com is not the standard by which I live my life, so I looked to the word of God to see what it has to say about friends.  This is what I found in Proverbs, the book of Wisdom:
·        The righteous should choose his friends carefully.  Proverbs 12:26
·        A friend loves at all times.  Proverbs 17:17
·        A person who has friends must himself be friendly.  Proverbs 18:24
·        Faithful are the wounds of a friend.  Proverbs 27:6
·        The sweetness of a friend gives delight by hearty counsel.  Proverbs 27:9
·        As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.  Proverbs 27:17
 
Each one of the women that I call my Buddy has been in my life for a number of years.  The one with the shortest amount of time is Sharon, my sister-in-law.  I met Sharon in 2011 and she has become the sister that I always wanted, but never had until then.  All the others have been in my life for over 10 years, and as many as over 50 years.  They were all chosen carefully.  We have had fun times, and I know that each one loves me enough to grab my coattail if I get out of line.  I count on them to speak the truth to me in love, counsel me when necessary, and cause me to be a better person than I would have been had I not known them.  That’s why we need to choose our friends carefully, because not everyone is capable or willing to show that kind of love. 
 
I thank God for all of my friends, but especially the faithful, loyal, godly friends that I count on to love, support, counsel and pray for me.  They are treasures that adorn my life and make it more beautiful!
+++++++

Janet Turner, Rita Garcia, Carla Scott, Ida Seow, Vanessa Judd, Sharon Steen
Thank you for being ‘My Buddies’
Love You Guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment