Friday, May 22, 2015

Who Is Missing In Action?


Then the King will say to those on His right hand, “Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;  I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.”  Matthew 25:34-36

It’s been my observation that when many people go through hard times, they withdraw socially and some withdraw spiritually.  In John 16:33 Jesus said, “In this world, you will have tribulation.  But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  I love that scripture, it has been the source of great encouragement for me over the years.  But I have to admit that even though I know that I can be of good cheer, it’s always nice to have someone come along side to love on me and encourage me while I’m going through.  Since I feel that way, I consider it a must for me to do the same for others. 

When someone is missing from our social group, from church, or from work we need to check on them.  How hard is it to take a little time to let someone know you missed them and that you care?  It really isn’t that hard, if we make the decision to live a deliberately caring life.  We have to love people on purpose, not just when it happens to be convenient.  Why?  We should do it because people need love and encouragement.  We live in a world where many people are hurting.  People are in need of God’s loving touch that, today, may need to come through you. 

We, also, need to do it because the Lord said so.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”    God is so mindful that He already prepared us to be comforters by the comfort He has given us.  It is interesting to me in that scripture we are told to comfort those in ANY trouble.  They may need food & drink, they may be a stranger or outsider that has no friends, they may need clothing, they may be sick or even in the pokey.  God’s kingdom is prepared for His children who are willing to care for others on purpose. 

Take a moment.  Can you think of someone who is MIA….someone who just might need a caring touch from you?   If so, you know what to do.

Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” Matthew 25:40 (b)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment